South Carolina is one of my top ten favorite places to visit. With each trip, I love learning more about the state’s history and importance. My appreciation for history takes over and I always leave with a few more little known facts.
Here are a few of my favorite South Carolina fast facts.
- The state was originally part of the English colony, Province of Carolina, and was named after King Charles I.
- There are 46 counties and regions include: the Blue Ridge Mountains, Charleston Metro Area, Coastal South Carolina, and Sea Islands.
- Roughly 4.6 million people live in the Palmetto state.
- Columbia is the state capital and largest city. Charleston is the 2nd largest city with nearly 660,000 people.
- A quick timeline of South Carolina’s history:
16th century- 1st explored by the Europeans
17th century- Native Americans expel most of the Spaniards
1670s- The English begin arriving to the colony
December 20, 1860- South Carolina becomes the 1st state to secede from the Union.
1960s- The Civil Rights Movement proved to be transformative in the state