North Carolina and South Carolina are two of my favorite states. As a traveler and lover of history, I always like to learn about the places I’m visiting. For this week’s Simply Carolina, here are five quick facts about each state. Did you know the Carolinas originated as one colony?
- State nicknames include the “Tarheel State” and the “Old North State.”
- Krispy Kreme Doughnuts was founded in Winston-Salem.
- Babe Ruth hit his first home run in Fayetteville on March 7, 1914.
- North Carolina is the nation’s leader in furniture, tobacco, brick, and textile production.
- The state’s motto is: Esse quam videri, meaning to be rather than to seem.
- The state dance of South Carolina is the shag.
- The Palmetto state is leading the nation in peach production and shipper east of the Mississippi River.
- South Carolina entered the Union as the 8th state on May 23, 1788.
- The Civil War started at Fort Sumter.
- Duncan Park Baseball Stadium in Spartanburg is the oldest minor league stadium in the nation.
Don’t forget YOU can join in the Simply Carolina fun!
If you live in either state, I want to hear your stories, recipes, etc. about the Carolinas. Simply fill out the contact form on the contact tab at the top of my blog with your information and story