Charleston, South Carolina
One of my favorite places in the world is Charleston! There is nothing better than seeing the Palmetto trees swaying in the Atlantic breeze and reliving the city’s history. So, of course, the Holy City would be the first stop on my Southern Summer Roadtrip!
For each place, I’ll give you the things to do, the restaurants to try, and the tips to use. Let’s go!
Things to Do:
- Rainbow Row
- Boone Hall Plantation and Gardens
- Carriage Rides
- Charleston City Market
- Fort Sumter
Restaurants to Try:
- Poogan’s Porch
- The Rooftop
- Charleston Crabhouse
- Brown Dog Deli
- Fleet Landing
Tips to Use:
- Weekday rates for hotels are often cheaper than weekends. If your schedule allows, come to Charleston during the week. My past trip was a Tuesday-Thursday and I loved it! For all of the places I visited, there was little to no wait.
- Look for special packages if you plan on doing a carriage ride, tours of plantations or museums, or the South Carolina Aquarium.
- You don’t have to stay in the heart of the city. Check out a hotel on the outskirts or North Charleston. Lower hotel rates are always a favorite.
- Walk the city! Save on gas and a get a little exercise. Trust me, you’ll see a TON more if you get out of the car.
- Go to the Charleston City Market FIRST thing in the morning, right after it opens. You’ll get first pick over all the vendors. Plus, the crowd’s still small, so there’s more room to shop.